Monday, November 17, 2008

Another Wrinkle: My Belief that Professional Library Journals Should Evolve into Blogs

On my blog this February I opined that librarian journals should evolve into blogs. In comparison to most researchers, librarians have less stringent tenure considerations and thus more room to experiment. Blogs would circulate ideas more quickly, and foster open discussion among colleagues.

This post attracted a great deal of attention in the "biblioblogosphere" as well as Library Journal. Some people thought I was a visionary, others a crank. Some of the push-back: not all librarians are ready for public peer review; the certification process afforded by traditional journals is still important.

In toto this was an excellent discussion, and to my mind demonstrated how the blogosphere can spark rapid and fruitful discussions. Given my predilection for blogs, as well as the low rate of author interest in the newest incarnation of BDL, I was completely prepared to end the journal after our year of free hosting concluded.

No comments: